Gifts of Spring

Tiff and I are totally exhausted... Her mare was due to foal any minute so we wanted to be sure to check on her during the night as her pen is easily accessible by the geldings (who, by the way, are VERY hard on colts. They think they're cool, moving chew toys - it's really quite horrible). Anyway, come 1:30 this a.m., sure enough, things start moving along. And who could ever sleep when there's a colt to be born? And then when she's born, who could sleep before seeing her stand up for the first time? And then... before she eats for the first time???
Long story short: it was a long night without much sleep, but such, such fun! I've never witnessed such a lovely little miracle - and in fact few folks do as mares are so good at having their babies.

She's a beautiful, perfect little thing and already loves people since we've been part of her world since the very first.

Here's her photo during the first minutes of life:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds so exciting, Michelle...the miracle of birth! Mindi just got a new colt and another of my friends also did, and they both did the imprinting thing, that was all new to me,and I had to learn what it was, so I was curious if you do that as well? (Have a looooong nap today!!)
Renee in NE

andy and michelle said...

We don't generally do any formal imprinting - we have way too many colts for that (or DID, we're getting down to a much more manageable number), but we were sure in on every moment of this little one's first hours. We'll see how much difference it makes and it may make a real believer out of me.
It's FUN, that's for sure! My I love those little things... there's just no word for their preciousness. (Sound like a proud grandma, don't I?) :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I stumbled across your blog site when I went to check in on Jen. It has been an inspiring experience to say the least...viewing your past pictures, the new baby on your block and EVERYTHING! Thanks for the heart-warming! I LOVE your new hair too! :) LW