Sometimes I wonder...

Why? That's what I wonder.

Friday I took my 2-year-old colt out to help work cows - something he doesn't exactly love, but something he's getting the hang of. Slowly. We thought we'd tie him in close to the cows we were working so he'd get ... oh, I guess "acclimatized" is the word. Well he was terrified. So much worse off when tied than when being ridden. Well anyway, long story short, he was so panicked that when a cow (admittedly a crazy one who likes to jump fences) came too close, he twisted to the side so forcefully he actually broke his leg. Truly, truly unbelievable. Tomorrow the vet has to come put him down and I am left to wonder why on earth I let myself get attached.

But then it's good to have these experiences that stop you in your tracks and make you think, "why am I so worried, so concerned, so sad, over such a shallow earthly thing?" Yes it's okay to be saddened - we'd be pretty harsh folks if we weren't - but to let it consume us to the point that it affects our living? No, not a good idea.

Do I have a point? Oh, probably not. Just thinking and typing and trying to keep the right perspective. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle and Andy Ray!
I just started blogging on Saturday for the first time and so when I jumped onto Jen's blog and saw your names I was excited! I created a Kleinstick family blog and made a bunch of mistakes but guess that's how ya learn! Tiffany's mom told me about your horse...I was sad to hear that. I miss everyone out there. Tell your mom and dad hi Michelle from McKayla and I and I just had a nice talk with your mom on the phone the other day Andy Ray. I hope you're both well and happy and we think of you all often....Amanda Drennen

andy and michelle said...

Hey cool Mandy! Good to hear from you. I'm totally new at this too, so am just playing around. Thanks for commenting!!

Glad you talked to Pat. We're heading up there this p.m. to go to a horse sale tomorrow.

We think of you too!!!!!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, I feel so bad about your colt, Michelle!! How sad!! I'm sorry!

Renee