The Loudest Day on the Ranch

It's weaning day... Colts are crying, moms are nickering, the newly separated studs are screaming (yes this is the right word. If you've never heard it, just trust me), the geldings running the fences wondering what they're missing ... Ah! Ranch life.

I know I've disappeared from blog-land for awhile, but it's for a good reason. I skipped chemo at the normal 28-day mark because of side effects and am not scheduled again until 10/15, so I am feeling 100% and loving it. I've been out riding, hunting, traveling, and putting together our business finally after 2 years of it needing done. I started an accounting program, developed a website (all on my own - I have to brag about that - and don't forget to check it out from the link on the right-hand side of this page), taken thousands of horse pictures and posted ads on different internet sites and magazines. It's been quite a month. I LOVE IT!!! Folks, I'm gonna say it again... if you feel good (or, in other words, if you get up and don't think about how you feel), appreciate it. Please.


My cancer count is down to 249. Last count was 268 and this little drop was during a time I got no chemo at all. My doc thinks it's because the chemo is still working. I think it's because I'm a good fighter. *smile*


Here are some photos of my birthday trek to the Gros Ventre above Jackson. It was sunnier than this and the colors were amazing. Wish the pics had turned out better!





Riding an ugly borrowed horse, but having fun anyway. *smile* Oh and no, we didn't find anything.



And here's one of our beautiful babies. Don't you just want to give her a hug? I know, I know, that's such a girly, animal-lover thing to say, but she's adorable! =)



And then there's Gus again... it's the proud mama in me, I guess. (And this proud mama is feeding him too much, as you can tell.)


Good days, all!

12 comments:

All About the B's said...

Hey there, sooo good to hear from you and see how you are doing. The pics from Jackson are beautiful, I bet it was perfect in person. We are next door to the cows that have been relocated, so its a balling 1/4 mile here, we hear them loud and clear all day and all night. Thank goodness for windows that help to muffle it. :-)
Take care and see you tonight.

andy and michelle said...

I should've mentioned that too... yes it's a day and NIGHT noise factory for awhile, isn't it? =)

Anonymous said...

What a full, productive, wonderful month you have had! I checked your site out the other day and wondered if you had done it by yourself. It is awesome - great job! Can't wait for more pics of very normal, but extraordinarily appreciated, days at your house! And thanks for the reminder to be thankful for feeling good - something most of us take for granted most of the time but shouldn't. Have a good day!

Leilani said...

Cheers for the website on your own!! I did that once - it was just personal, very basic, and nothing fancy at all - but it gives me a leetle bit of an idea of how much work it is. So second round of cheers! :D

And man, I want to come play with your horses.
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I have to say you are EXCEPTIONAL! I already thought that...then I see these pictures, you, read the notes and that word just seems to fit perfectly! Very fun to catch up and we'll be cheering you on next week as you hit the repeat button on the medicine wheel... :) Smiles from over easter! LW

Anonymous said...

Hi, Michelle, I am totally familiar with weaning baby calves...but colts, I've never thought about. Do they whinny loudly or just mournfully? I do think it's kind of sad to take those babies away from their Mommies...especially sad on a dairy because you do it so SOON.

Anyway, the pics are so so pretty, and that little filly is so cute. I know nothing about Appaloosa's, but I'm guessing she has good markings with that nice little set of spots on her flank.

It makes me smile from ear to ear to know you are having some wonderfully feel-good days!!

Happy trails...Renee

Anonymous said...

Yes - I want to hug her. She is adorable!! Are you going to keep her as your special project? I vote that you do!
We loved the pictures and the good report - thanks for the update!
Gus looks like he's doing good - better too fat than too thin!:) You and he make a good team, thanks for sharing the pics of you on him!
Good days to you, and we'll cross our fingers that this round of chemo doesn't bring along so many side effects!!
Lots of love from here tonight..... take care.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I love the web site you have made, it looks great. I am sure it will help with business. I am glad you are feeling well at the moment and get a chance to spend time out in the lovely fall air. Have a good weekend.

Lana

Anonymous said...

I want to hug her! Actually, I want to have her!

Kate said...

I am so happy that you are feeling good! It looks like you are having a grand time. :)

Anonymous said...

I have looked at your lovely pictures and not taken the time to stop by yet. I did enjoy your entry and even found the "ugly" horse quite attractive!! It reminded me some some we had in my growing up days. I've been thinking about you since your last treatment and hoping that it wasn't to bad. Take care, Linda

Anonymous said...

Andy & Michelle,
Nice website! Great layout, very informative, yet simple and user-friendly. Building a website is not such an easy thing to do...good job!!
-megan o.