Life in the Slow Lane

Everyone keeps asking if I've looked into MD Anderson Cancer center in Houston so I asked my doctor if she'd called them about me. She did, BUT... this is what she says:
They might be the mecca for patients with bad cancers and cutting edge research, but she was not at all impressed with them. They basically said there's nothing better they can do for me than the current 'normal protocol' [read: the Doxil I'm currently getting] so I should just stay in Wyoming. They were very, very negative about any promising new studies or help they could offer, and she was furious on my behalf - she's an absolute delight as a physician - so will not send me there. She absolutely refuses because she doesn't feel they would do their best by me, doesn't feel they'd offer much hope or new options.

On the other hand, the doctor she knows in San Fransisco said he'd love to see me, has tried many things on other patients with recurrent ovarian cancer, new combinations of old drugs and etc. As a rule, he evaluates and assesses there in CA, then allows the treatment regimen to be carried out in the patient's hometown, and that, of course, is a huge benefit for us folks who live thousands of miles away. Plus she has a good rapport with him, can call him at any time with questions or for new ideas. So as soon as San Fransisco receives my chart by fax they will call me to set up an appointment. Also reassuring is that he would start with what we're doing now... Doxil every 28 days. So even if I can't get in right away, I've already started what he'd recommend first.

I thought I'd post these photos of Snelling life lately.
First the new stack wagon which has saved us many headaches:
Andy giving us the thumb's up as he makes another round:

Another sunset from home:

And enjoying cousin company at the park:

7 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I'm glad you have such a good doctor, who is willing to do her best for you. That might make all the difference.

Anonymous said...

Simply wonderful to get the latest from the Snelling Ranch!!! It does sound like your doctor in Casper cares and is after the VERY best care for you. Awesome!! Yes, and I am sure you felt huge relief to know the experts in CA would recommend what you are receiving now in the way of Chemo drugs!
That is one huge stack of bales...somehow it seems like it would be fun to try to scale to the top, and run across them...reminiscent of my childhood days...only that was "cupcake" haystacks that Dad had created with the stacker tractor alone...no cage or anything....he must've been good. :) Thinking boutcha every day.....RLG

Anonymous said...

How refreshing to have an awesome doctor like that! Nice to have confidence in their decisions because you know they care about what is best for you! Love all the pictures as well ~ fun to see! Thanks for sharing!

candy said...

Thinking of you! Good for you for investigating all your options. We know you've heard it before, but we so appreciate your courage and sunny disposition. "Sweet is the story you shall tell..."
loves. Candy, Aaron, and Amelia

Anonymous said...

Good to know that you're in the hands of such a good & caring oncologist and that all positive signs still seem to be pointing in the direction of CA! It would be interesting to know who the SF doctor turns out to be...one of our dear young brothers, Tom F, had a wonderful one, Dr. O, who went above & beyond in every sense in seeking to help him. Hope the referral happens fast, goes well, and produces the very best results for you. Will be checking in often to see how it's going...you're a great updater =)

Emily said...

Its great to hear that you won't be stuck so far from home, and when you are it will be with a doc you can have confidence in. The Houston people sound a little impersonal, and it makes everything 1000 times worse when you're not comfortable in your environment OR with your docs. I'm so glad to hear you've got people working hard for you who know the ins and outs!

Anonymous said...

First comment: I see in that last picture, your hair is still there. Great to see! :o)

Second comment: Good to know about Houston. As with every situation, what may be the best for one person may NOT be the best for the next. To echo Candy, good for you for searching out your options! There is NO reason a person should not feel comfortable with the direction they're headed with their doctors! I do agree, too, that your current doc sounds excellent! It certainly makes things "easier" when dealing with big picture issues. :)