Settlin'

We're getting back into the home groove. A week away from baling proved to be nearly too much, so Andy's back at it again with a vengeance. The mouth sores I griped about to a few of you are resolving, so that is a beautiful relief. I had cold cereal for breakfast this a.m. which would have been a complete impossibility a few days ago. Food textures.... do you have any idea how wonderful they are? When you've been imprisoned by yogurt and well-smashed-up eggs, the freedom of popcorn and pecans is beyond description.

My doc appointment and chemo went all right this week. When listening to my lungs, the doc heard some fluid in and/or around my right lung again and sent me in for an x-ray. The radiologist checked out the x-ray and says I don't need any fluid drained off right now, so that's a relief. They were all very concerned about why that would be building up again. *sigh. But for now, I guess we're letting it be.

Dad got to take a ride in a WWII Flying Fortress B-17 today. It was an awesome experience and Tiff got some photos, so I'm putting them on here.
How cool is this?!!!!



Don't know how well you can see in this photo, but hopefully shows how 'well used' this old Fortress is.

Below here, if you look closely, you can see a guy crammed into the nose cone, which dad also got to ride in during his flight... Looks to me like it'd be as close to flying like a bird as anyone'd ever be - straight out in front, below the pilots. Thankfully they weren't flying over Germany 60-some years ago. Might be a rather nerve-wracking seat then.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my stars, this blog is purely fascinating! I cannot imagine the RUSH you must get riding in a nosecone of a WWII plane. I would be scared spitless! Wow and double wow!

Ahh, yes, to savor the feel of honey nut crunch in your mouth, or popcorn, like you mentioned, or chips and salsa! I'm sure you must be savoring every bite. I am SO tickled that the sores are healed (healing) up. I was getting sort of lonesome for an update on your blog so thanks bunches.

Good luck and fair skies to Andy and his haying crew!

Tight hugs, Renee

Anonymous said...

Hello! Thanks much for the update! Just got caught up last week on all your trip blogs, as we didn't have access to a computer for most of our trip to CA. We were in Sacramento when you were in San Fran - you were constantly in our thoughts there and also in Houston. At first I was disappointed that they didn't have some new-fangled treatment to offer you, but then after thinking it over I found it very reassuring that all the top-notch experts were in agreement that you ARE receiving the VERY BEST right now (and the other great positive is that you can get it in Riverton and can be HOME!!).

Brendan loves planes and is quite impressed with your pictures! He is also a bit jealous - he would love to take a ride in the WWII plane (especially in the nosecone seat)!! SO glad the mouth sores are much-improved. Mom has kept me updated some on that - sounds like they were pretty miserable. OK, I better stop before this becomes a novel. Good luck to Andy with the haying and you just keep on taking good care of yourself!

With much love and care, Chris & family

Anonymous said...

I thought of you all morning as I had the privilege of sitting nearly next to your brother in meeting!! :) We heard helpfully (many other things too) about the privilege we have of Jesus faithfully praying for us and interceeding for us and it's almost more then we can imagine isn't it?! We're always encouraged when we seek to encourage others! I am thankful you're doing better and as well as can be for now! I love that you update us as I would be an ol' nag with persistant phone calls if you didn't! Take special care! LW

Anonymous said...

Neat photos and what a fun ride for your Dad. I'm sorry you had mouth sores, but am so glad they are better. We do so often take so many things in life for granted and don't appreciated them until they are taken away. Thanks for the update and I'm glad you folks keep encouraged. Linda

Anonymous said...

WELL...I have to admit to being rather technically challenged, and had about given up in getting a message sent, but this morning, I feel determined to try again!!! Thankfully, our thoughts can wing their way to you and your family SO VERY often ~~ without any technical difficulties! We "traveled" with you through your "daze" ~ ;-) ~ in CA and TX... Oh, my, we absolutely love your frequent updates, and check in with you often! I hope you are absorbing the love and support we are all sending you via this means of keeping in touch!
(((HUGS)))
Don and Jeanie

Anonymous said...

WOW! I would love to hear your Dad tell about his flight. What a unique thing to get to do! Thanks for the photos!

ant Vik said...

My husband is so jealous, he can hardly stand it. He loves planes and old ones especially. So glad your Dad got the opportunity!

Glsd the sores are healing and you can enjoy more food textures. Funny how we take the little things for granted. Hope you continue to get healthier!!