Th Ol' Switcheroo

So we go to Denver quaking in our boots, wondering what on earth they will have to add to the current retinue of bad news.... and we come home saying, "well it was more bad news, sure, but they tossed in some pretty good news along with it".

... let me interrupt here and say how much we've enjoyed all the comments and encouragement. I could sit there in those doctor's offices and feel the pressure of many hands and hearts. Thank you. So much.

Now this isn't absolute, unequivocal or irreversible, but for now this is what we brought home: They are VERY sure I have a separate breast cancer. In addition to ovarian. And it's spreading to other organs. Yeah. ... Isn't that thrilling? :{
.............................

But that's the bad news portion. These doctors, believe it or not, are so excited about it that it rubbed off on us. The ovarian might be under better control than we first thought and it's now the breast cancer that's robbing me of health and to them that's superb news. These doctors are top-of-the-line, nationally-known breast cancer surgeons and researchers and they TREAT breast cancer, they don't just toss drugs at it and hope, which is what others are doing. (Or ignore me, afraid I'll ask what my prognosis is, or shake their heads and tell me not to bother, which was happening here.)

These Denver fellows were very careful not to lambaste my small-town docs, but they were also pretty clear that I needed different and better care and better quality scans to see what really is going on. For the first time since my cancer came back in May, we heard docs talking about the possibility of a few more years of good life; saying words like, "once we get you into a nice remission..." . You have no idea what those words feel like to us. It is indescribable. I was thinking this would likely be my last January, my last Spring to see colts born... and now that may change. So, most importantly, I must not lose that priceless lesson of the brevity of this life, but learn from it and go on with a little bit more lighthearted cheerfulness.

So ... the docs are writing their recommendations as we speak, I will get another permanent IV line placed on Monday and start chemo again SOON. But no surgery for now. Apparently the chemo should shrink the tumor first, plus there's no waiting for the surgery site to heal before starting the cancer-killing drugs. Surgery is still important, but it's not wise to do it now apparently. Thank goodness I didn't get that mastectomy done here last week!!!! They'd have opened me up, probably worsened things and I'd have had an even worse prognosis.
I'm rambling. Sorry. Anyway it's chemo now and they will, and I quote, "knock me for a loop, but knock the cancer for a loop too". So I'm preparing for baldness again, checking out some fun hats and wigs, planning for some down-and-out chemo days, but we'll think positive and hope for the best. Thanks all, for your parts in that, and please keep it up. Oh and Jeanie P - I am so glad to see the comment thing worked for you this time. Learn something new every day, eh? :)

We got to move our cows here today! We've been trying to calve out a neighbor's calves and it was getting to be a pain in the hind-end, running over there 10 times a day. So, the following photos are for Justin and Monte since they were asking if there were some easier and better ways to move cows. We've got it down pat boys, so pay close attention:
(hee hee hee and a wicked grin) ; }
1st of all, Andy Ray, driving ... (sort of. Hanging out the door, standing up, looking the wrong direction, and yes Jen, on the wrong side of the road ...is that driving?)

Then Michelle working very hard because these cows were just crazy, jumping fences right and left, as you can see in the photo:

Teaching the old girls about fast food. You gotta move if you're going to get anything:

Come on girls, don't be so shy. Climb right up on this trailer with me:


...sorry guys, just testing your sense of humor. What actually happened is, this neighbor we're calving for is new-fangled and prefers hay-trailers and 4-wheelers, so we snapped a few shots of our easy day. It was almost a laugh.

And here's another fun pet one just because they keep doing cute things and I can't resist them. Never in all my days have I seen cats and dogs who get along like ours do. They love each other. Really, they do. They groom each other, seek each other out for naps, play together, purr together .... it's crazy.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back home! We are glad for the "good" part of the news...hopefully the chemo won't be as bad as predicted.
Darrell decided about 90 head of Harley's cows were fed here as heifers, AND that we got the easiest part of the job! He also said they can be rather wild, which you probably already know. I just remember what a good looking set of replacements they were. (Looks ISN'T everything at zero degrees when you are hoping for an easy going mama as you grab the wet calf before it freezes to the ground. Hopefully it will warm up.
The encouragement you got in Denver will strengthen you..
Love, Darrell, Bonnie & Lex

Anonymous said...

Well, bad for the bad news part, but GOOD for their positive outlook!!! THAT was wonderful to hear!! And, as I always mention, we'll be here through it all, so please keep us updated and NEVER be afraid to ask for something, whether it be physical help or just spiritual or just plain 'ol encouragement. :) We're fighting in many ways already, but we'll always be here if you need something more. Just say so. I mean it! :) (And I use the term "we" because from what I read in your comments, I think others feel the same!)

Anyway, enough of that. Your pictures...hilarious!!! I laughed when I looked at the first one of Andy Ray "driving"! Ha! I wanted to add to the list and say that it seems that in addition to standing, hanging out the door and looking the wrong way, he SEEMS to also be on the wrong side of the road!!! *laugh* Thanks for the laugh with that one, my dear.

And about your dear animals having nothing but love for each other...well, I wonder if it's because they realize that you have enough on your hands to deal with right now, so they're going to be on their best behavior! I believe it! I have always read about animals have a certain sense to know when their master needs their cooperation/love/help/etc. I think it's the same in this situation! :)

Okay...enough for now. All my love to you both!!

Anonymous said...

You know, we small town people tend to think small towns are better in every way than big cities. But thankfully, there are big city doctors who see lots of different cases, know the best thing to do, and can do more for you than well intentioned small town docs can. I'm so glad you went out on a limb and went to Denver before going ahead with the surgery. It is awfully strange that bad news can be good news, but that is how it seems this time...who would have thought you would say "Yippee" to find out you have another cancer? Wild. :)

Yes, new hats and new wigs are in order. I remember looking at your pictures from the first chemo go around and thinking "Man! How did Andy, Michelle, and Tiffany make chemo look fun?!" :) You all certainly made the best of it and had a sense of humor about it. I hope that can be the case again, though I'm sorry you'll have very crummy days. Until then, it looks like you are enjoying every minute of being outside and working with Andy. That's good medicine! :)

I'm always tickled at your animal pictures. Our cat, Lucy, certainly doesn't have that relationship with our two dogs. :)

Thanks for the update.
Love,
Morgan and Michelle

Traci K said...

So glad to hear of the "positive" news that came out of Denver! Just knowing there's hope is very encouraging, I'm sure! Closer to home, one of my son's "Scout Mom's" is dealing with breast cancer here, so I can relate so well to what you must be dealing with. They're telling her she needs a mastectomy...hmmm...maybe I should recommend a Dr. for her in Denver? :) The cat and dog pict. is too cute! Looks like a calendar photo!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever ordered a lucious bagel with cinnamon cream cheese...but when it came it had onion, garden vegetable cream cheese on it?! It was a shock to your expectant taste buds...but after the 3rd bite, it wasn't too bad after all. That's how I feel...I was ready for the sweet and not prepared for the sour...but it won't be too bad after all! I'm so thankful you took the time to go visit Denver and can have confidense in their experience and "vision" for your situation! Thank you for keeping us updated and sharing the whole experience and perspective. If we can't be there visiting over a cup of coffee...your descriptions are just about as good!
I always love your pictures and I'm going to have to share it with JD too...the real, easy way to move a bunch of almost calving cows! :) I have never been a dog/cat person...but you're starting to make me think I might enjoy it...I'd need yours though! :)
Take special care and remember how much we all care!
Love, LW

Anonymous said...

Glad you are home, the news rather fits both sides of the spectrum. I am sorry for the bad news, but like you am soooo grateful for the hope they have given. It is amazing what alittle hope can do for ones outlook, attitude and basic mental feeling. Your thoughts on sunday have really stayed with me as I have thought of you soooo much the last few days. Good to always remember what to put first and how important it is in good and bad times to be in touch with the greatest help there is.
I do think the pet pic needs to be submitted to some publication of some kind. Better yet, make your own calender of pet pics, most of us have NEVER seen pets act this way. Ya know they say kids learn behaviors from their parents, wonder if pets are the same. :-)
See you tomorrow...

Karen F. said...

Oh, Michelle, we are surely supporting you behind the scenes. Many times a day I, and many others, think of you and a little one-line prayer goes up to heaven asking for strength and help for you and yours. Thanks for keeping us updated on the latest developments. We rejoice with you in the hope the doctors extend for getting the cancer under control. Love, Karen F.

Mimi/Susan said...

So trilling to see a sliver of sun poking it's head through the clouds! Maybe on the better chemo days you can knit some fancy soft hats to keep your head warm. I just might try to knit one for you! Keep us updated if you're able. Here's a big hug X.And I'll throw a kiss in!O

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Thanks for updating your blog with this good news, Michelle! I'm so thankful that there is good news and we now have positive, skilled doctors to trust!

Anonymous said...

It's truly amazing how hope can make the sun shine again....Thanks for the well written post. Best wishes for the days ahead!!
Love
Dave W.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your post - acknowledging the bad news, yet so hopeful with the good news...because the Dr's are so hopeful! Isn't that refreshing!! I was imagining how different you would have felt on the way down to Denver compared to the way back from Denver! So glad for the Dr's there and their plan of action. Please know we think about you constantly! Sending love & hugs your way, Mo

ant Vik said...

Michelle,

Your blogs always make me want to do better about not complaining. You can make bad news seem not so bad, but add a little good news and you perk us all up. Our prayers and hopes go out to you. Thanks so much for the update and the good news.

I love your pictures and the note to Justin and Monte. :-) Reminds me of growing up on the ranch. Thanks for that too.

Anonymous said...

We'll take the good news, reserve judgment about the bad news, and hope that all the stuff they'll be throwing at you truly does bring some great news along with it in due time. And in the meantime, have fun wig & hat shopping. And keep up those remarkably, incredibly, inspiringly good spirits =)

Beth said...

We will certainly be sending positive thoughts and prayers as you make your way through this. Positive thoughts and prayers from small town Alabama!
~Beth~

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that some new treatment options are being offered.........and we surely hope the best for you. Love, Carol and Harold

Lainey said...

Ditto!

Anonymous said...

Everybody else already covered this post with the right words.... so we're just saying "yep, what they said!":) SO SO SO SO relieved that you can look at this week with some hope. What a difference in our perspective that makes!
I agree with southern Michelle too --- out working with Andy is some great medicine and therapy!! Seeing you with the big square bales took me right back to your parents house where we learned to feed big squares off of a trailer -- what good days!!!

Anonymous said...

thank you for the update ~
thinking of you with lots of love ~ Hannah B

Anonymous said...

It's all been said so beautifully!

Renee

Leilani said...

What they all said. :)
love and thoughts your way often.

Anonymous said...

You make "bad" news sound good! Well, hopeful, at least! And we are SOOOO glad you have a doc you trust! We're pulling for you! Luv, Lorna

Jenny said...

Hi Michelle,
You are an amazing lady. I love how upbeat you are through it all...such an inspiration. You have a wonderful spirit. --Jenny (of the www.3littlerascals.blogspot.com)