The Daze of our Lives

(Is any other blogger having trouble uploading photos and videos? I'm going crazy. I think I'll just post the text for now - other stuff later, I'm tired of fighting with my computer.)

Once again, we've proven it's impossible to have dull moments around here. I get chemo... I laze and sleep and moan around because I'm puny and useless. Then I catch a cold and it gets worse and worse so I continue my moping around. Then I start coughing and stop breathing. Almost. I'm home alone, sitting on my bed, pulling in air through what feels like a pinprick hole in my throat, determined not to panic - someone will come, someone will come, someone will come... After 15 minutes or so, Andy's shadow darkens the doorway, I burst into tears, whisper, "take me to the ER".

Of course the poor man nearly falls apart, his knees literally buckle as he hears his nurse-wife actually asking to go to the ER when I have not once before let him take me. (Those places are for sick folks, y'know. Stay away at all costs.) But because he's made up of the same stuff as Superman, he calls outside to have Tiffany bring the truck around, picks me up and starts running. He somehow grabs the right insurance information, opens doors, gets me in the truck and down the highway, speeding past drivers who have less purpose, and lands us safely at our little hometown emergency room where thankfully they know how to open up airways.

(***everyone take a deep breath here. Think about how awesome it is. It's priceless - don't try to tell me it isn't***)

After a series of treatments (for some reason my throat did not want to stay well-and-truly open until about 18 hours later) I'm shaky and miserable from all the adrenaline they give, but I'm breathing. And proud of it. So that was Saturday, this is Tuesday and after 3 days in the ICU I am home!!! No one is really sure what happened, although 2 of the doctors think I had a severe reaction to some rubitussin I took Saturday morning. Others feel I had a "viral" reaction which affected the tissues in my throat. Personally, I agree with the viral reaction scenario because I had a temp of 104.5 when I arrived at the ER and allergic reactions don't do that. But all I really know is that I reacted to something and I'd prefer not to do it again.

I'm writing too much. I must wind this down or I shall lose my captive audience. So I'm sleep-deprived, still coughing and congested, and suffering from ICU psychosis, but all's well that ends well, as they say. Unfortunately my cancer probably survived the episode too, but if it didn't I'll be sure to let you know. :)

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear your back! I wasn't so very impressed when I heard you were in ICU!! But that's behind you and now you forge ahead again! Feel better!!!

Mimi/Susan said...

Again Charlie Brown says "Good grief"! I've spent years as a trauma nurse and the most frightened patients (and rightly so)are the ones who are struggling to breath! Glad things are better now. I hope you are keeping a phone by your side at all times. My calendar came yesterday...love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Michelle, when I think about what you and Andy just went through I just have such a rush of emotions my head spins! I feel panic, compassion, love, and then I get this feeling of..." I am so proud of those two and what they can whip!" Jeepers I just can't express it...I wish I had your way with words...you managed to make this whole thing sound like a lark. Well, sort of...we know it was terrifying. Oh, all I can say is thank goodness you made it, and you are on the mend again!!!! I am soooo thankful.

Love, Renee

Anonymous said...

You mentioned superman. . .But where would he be without his superwoman?! Really. You are both incredible and deserve capes or masks or SOMETHING to indicate your superhero status!

Anonymous said...

Dear Michelle...OH MY!!! I was worried that I hadn't read anything new on your blog for awhile...and then to read THAT!!! OH MY, MY!!! We are SO GLAD you are better...whew!!! Enuff of the drama though, that would be good! By the way...I should have commented on your wig blog last time...on you, they look great!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are home.....and even if "puny" doing better than you were over the weekend! Keep it up! Love, Harold and Carol

Anonymous said...

So, you go through all of that and in your ICU psychosis and sleep deprived daze you can still tell a story like no other!! I agree with Renee that reading your account of what happened took us all through a journey of emotions. At the end of it we feel relieved that you're better, reminded of what good hands you're in (that Andy is something else!), and admiring your calm strength through it all.
Thank you so much for taking time to update all of us!! Take Care!!!

The J's said...

Your sense of humor (at least afterwards!!) in the whole thing is amazing! Take care!

ant Vik said...

Michelle, I just have to say 'ditto' to what Renee said. You and Andy have really had to face some trying things. I am always amazed at the strength you both show in all you have had to handle. You truly are a team, pulling together.

Anonymous said...

WOW! What else is there to say. Hope you are feeling better now.
Love and Hugs to you both
Retha

Jocelyn said...

So sorry to hear, although you sound in good spirits as usual.
I too was having trouble uploading pictures...drives me crazy!

Anonymous said...

Michelle...I'm so glad you're home again and hopefully doing better every day. You have certainly been thru enough WITHOUT this too. We heard last night about Paul's "prosperous" journey to Rome...prison, shipwreck etc, yet good still came out of it. That seems to be how you've handled all your "shipwrecks." Much love, Bonnie

Anonymous said...

I am hoping that 104.5 temp was too much for the nasty cancer cells! Glad you are back at home sweet home. Northern hugs. Joyce Major

Anonymous said...

Oh! My eyes filled with tears reading what you experienced and so glad AndyRay made it into your bedroom in time! Our calendar came and it is so nice! Thank you!!!
Love you! Lorna and Garland

Anonymous said...

I have to ditto the "OH, My's"!!! What a scarey time. I am glad you are feeling some better and by now I hope you are feeling quite a bit better. We always appreciate hearing from you. Take care, Linda

All About the B's said...

We also have to say WOW, it is good to hear you are doing some better. We sure hope to see you Sunday, but understand that might not be possible. Andy sure has been pretty amazing through everything and you have too, together your strength is huge.

I also have struggled with blogger lately, hence my lack of posts...don't know what the deal is either. just wanted you to know you aren't alone in that issue.
Take care...

Wanda, Melania & Mishayla said...

I found myself holding my breath as I read your account. How crazy is that, given the circumstances? I am still a captive audience. You are a gifted storyteller and photographer... C'mon blogger, let her post some more great pictures! Happy homecoming. It is the best place to get stronger. Wanda

Anonymous said...

To echo everyone else - OH MY! (or "Oh My Word" as your sister would say =) You have had quite the frightening experience. So glad you came through it all right! You missed your calling - you should have been an author! Now that your calendar project is complete, I think you should write a book (include a few pictures too). With lots of hugs and special thoughts from Billings... Chris & all of us

Anonymous said...

Whew...we all needed "eye-wipers" for that one! Also, the more I read, the more oxygen I thought I needed!! How are you both feeling by now? We're all SO thankful Andy responded to the "nudge" to go into the house when he did, and we're just as thankful that you kept from hitting the panic button before your hero walked into the room! Most of all, we're thankful that God is in the picture!!!
E-HUGS,
Don & Jeanie

Anonymous said...

a california friends sez:

Coughing is good; sleep-deprived is annoying but okay; little-to-no breathing capabilities are completely unacceptable! Oh goodness, as if you don't have enough to deal with already. Glad your hero walked in just when he did & then did all the right things to get you to ER in a hurry. And glad you can look back on the experience with enough humor to so descriptively share it with your captive audience =) And with that, I'll draw a deep, beautiful lung-filling breath & say goodnight.

Traci K said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad your Superman was there in time!! And...glad you got that airway opened too! Must've been a nasty virus! Hope you're feeling stronger every day! Love the calendar! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Reading this even after the fact brings a tear to my eye! You all are so dear to my heart and I think it is a good idea that you write a book "when you find time" :) Others will find courage and strength from your experinces. I did a photo tribute for you at photopoints. I love your sense of humor! Pat

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear from you on your site. I had received an e-mail from Pat when this happened & never heard the outcome. Your a real inspiration. I wish my Mom had your spunk & attitude as she faces her cancer. Tell little brother that big sis says "way to go"!
Cathy S.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle, Just wondering how you are doing?? I hope this finds you at least "hanging" in there. I'm enjoying my April lilac's. Linda

Anonymous said...

Just so you know there's someone on the other side of the world (Kazakhstan) who checks your blog quite frequently and hopes you are having quieter, sunny days with no ER trips!! You're both an inspiration! Jana

Anonymous said...

I ran across your blog when checkiing out Gent & Elaine Burgess's Blog (my son & daughter in law). We are from Nebraska, near York. You have an interesting Blog. Sorry to hear of your medical problems but hope things are going well for you. When we face difficult situations it is a great comfort to know there are others who are thinking of us. We are thinking of you and hoping for the best.

Roger Burgess